The Comanche County District Attorney plans to use the autopsy report of a victim in an August shooting against the alleged killer.

Michael Hyde, 33, of Lawton, was killed Aug. 22 following a Russian-roulette style of shooting that witnesses said began with drug use.

Arrieus Adonte Sentrall Sims Jr., 32, of Lawton, was charged with felony charges of second-degree murder and two counts of possession of a firearm after former felony conviction. Due to Sims’ prior convictions, the murder charge is punishable by between 20 years to life in prison.

The State filed its notice of intent to use the report last week in Comanche County District Court.

According to Medical Examiner Edana Stroberg’s autopsy report, Hyde died from a gunshot wound to his right chest that went through his back.

Hyde had a small amount of methamphetamine in his system when he died.

Sims is accused of shooting Hyde with a revolver after loading a round, spinning the cylinder, pulling the trigger and pointing it at the man. When the first time failed, another spin led to Hyde’s death, according to investigators.

Lawton police were called to an apartment at 6921 W. Gore after someone reported hearing a gunshot followed by screams that someone was bleeding, according to the affidavit.

Witnesses statements cleared up what led to the shooting to police. One witness said he and Hyde were in the upstairs bedroom of the apartment, along with Sims and two other men. According to the affidavit, Sims and Hyde used meth together and Sims tried to instigate a fight between one man and Hyde, even though they each said they didn’t have a problem with one another.

The witness told investigators that Sims pulled a revolver from his waistband and removed the rounds from the gun before putting one round in the cylinder and spinning it. He pointed the gun at Hyde and squeezed the trigger, causing the gun to “click” but not fire, the affidavit states. He repeated the process, according to the witness, and at that time everyone started leaving the room. Sims is accused of taking two steps toward the door and pointing the gun at Hyde. This time it fired.

It was later learned by police that Sims had come into possession of a .22 caliber rifle that same day. Due to his prior Comanche County convictions of knowingly concealing stolen property and possession of a firearm after former felony conviction, Sims wasn’t supposed to have a firearm. After attaining a search warrant, police recovered the rifle from the room where the shooting happened.

Held on $250,000 bond, Sims returns to court at 3 p.m. Dec. 21 for his preliminary hearing conference, records indicate.

Written by Scott Rains:

Recommended for you