Healing Hearts of Southwest Oklahoma is hosting a Suicide Awareness, Prevention and Remembrance candlelight vigil at 6:15pm today at 1930 NW Ferris Ave. Suite 4.
How Healing Hearts of SW Oklahoma plans to help:
"Through hosting events targeted to increase awareness of suicide and remember those lives lost, while bringing awareness to the issue and helping implement services to address the problem," said Starsha Powers, COO of Healing Hearts.
"We will also strive towards these goals that are listed below," she said.
• In 2020 we will continue our efforts to raise awareness of suicide and how it effects just about everyone in our community and we will create a dialogue that works to eliminate the taboo nature of talking about suicide;
• We will work to ensure all our community members have access to Preventative Outpatient Mental Health Services;
• We will continue working with community business partners to provide outreach and support to those community members with the most risk factors and enhance the number and diversity of treatment and support services we offer;
• Provide QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) training to all persons receiving services with our clinic and as many community members as possible;
• Invite an open information exchange and dialogue with all community members and institutions such as school systems, higher education, and community employers;
"The following are solutions and protections you can use at home," Powers said. "We want everyone to have access to help."
• Talk about it. Learn to have honest and open conversations with all family members about suicide and the array of feelings associated with and which can lead to increased risk factors for suicidal thoughts and actions;
• Learn how to assess someone you care about for risk factors for suicide and how to help when they are at risk;
• Reduce access to firearms, lethal doses of medications and alcohol in the home – these three risk factors can increase the potential for a suicide by 84%.
For more information, contact Powers at email@example.com