The effects of a prolonged drought are still evident in Southwest Oklahoma for the third consecutive year as some area cities are requiring residents to conserve water usage by limiting the amount of time outdoor watering is permitted and even prohibiting all but essential uses.
A rundown of area cities enforcing, or considering future enactment of mandatory water conservation measures include:
Elgin: Water rationing is still in place and bulk water sales have been suspended. Watering is permitted on odd/even days based on address numbers from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
The city recently commissioned a water study about future needs.
Elgin receives its water from four wells that draw from the Rush Springs aquifer, which has been decreasing for some time.
Fort Sill: All outdoor water usage, including washing cars at home, is prohibited except Wednesdays and Saturdays between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Indiahoma: The town continues mandatory water-use restrictions that have been in effect for several months. Watering of trees and flowers is permitted, but lawn watering is prohibited. Also banned are vehicle washing and filling of swimming pools.
Indiahoma receives 40 percent of its water from wells and the other 60 percent from Comanche County Water District No. 4.
Lawton: Lawton is under Stage 2 water conservation measures, which means residents may use water outdoors only between midnight and 9 a.m. every other day, based on the structure's address. That means residents with even-numbered addresses may water on even-numbered days; those with odd-numbered addresses may water on odd-numbered days. Restrictions mean residents may not water outside vegetation, wash vehicles or engage in outdoor recreational uses except during specified hours.