ALTUS A resident suffered smoke inhalation while trying to retrieve her pets from a burning home during an early morning fire Wednesday.
The blaze occurred at 12:37 a.m. at a residence at 1010 East Cypress. Altus Fire Chief Jerry Abbott said that there was heavy smoke coming from the residence when firefighters arrived.
The fire was contained to a living/dining room of the home and resulted in smoke and property damage to contents of that room, along with smoke damage to the rest of the home. Firefighters were on the scene for 1 hours. Abbott said the cause of the fire was determined to have been an electrical short.
Abbott said the woman, who was the occupant of the home, had gotten herself and a child out of the residence and then went back in to retrieve her pets. She was overcome by smoke inhalation but had gotten out of the residence by the time firefighters arrived. The victim, whose name was not released by the fire department, was transported by ambulance personnel to Jackson County Memorial Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.